Quiz Time: Tooth Stains
Discoloration of your teeth can make you feel insecure and self-conscious about your smile. It could make you feel like you have to try to hide your smile when you talk or laugh. Insecurity about the color of your teeth could be both problematic for your self-esteem. The good news is that tooth stains can be managed through cosmetic dentistry. Are you ready to take a quiz on tooth stains? Do you know what causes stains on teeth? Do you know which treatment is best for each kind of stain?
- True or False: Certain types of food and drink can lead to discolored teeth.
- True or False: Good oral hygiene can help keep stains off of your teeth.
- True or False: Only whitening treatments can help brighten your smile.
- True or False: Discoloration can come from within the tooth and it is permanent.
- True. When we eat foods and drink beverages high in sugar and other starches, it can promote a plaque buildup. Plaque buildup can make stains more obvious. Drinks with dark pigments, such as soda, red wine, tea, coffee, and fruit juice, can lead to staining. These types of drinks are best consumed with a straw to avoid staining the front teeth.
- True. When you routinely clean our teeth, you help to limit the amount of plaque that can form on the surfaces to reduce the severity of discoloration. Brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing at least once a day makes for a good hygiene routine. A professional dental cleaning twice a year is also an important part of the routine.
- False. While professional teeth whitening systems can brighten your smile, it is not the only method. Bonding or porcelain veneers may help to cover discoloration that comes from within the tooth.
- True. Foods, drinks, and tobacco products can cause extrinsic stains, which refer to the outside of the tooth. Intrinsic stains come from inside the tooth. These kinds of stains can be caused by injury or trauma to the teeth. Extrinsic stains can be removed from the surface, while intrinsic stains cannot be removed, which is why cosmetic coverage may be the best option.